What causes speech and language problems?
Delayed Speech and language disorder is the most common developmental problem. It affects five to ten percent of preschool kids.
- Developmental speech and language disorder is a common reason for speech/language problems in kids. This is a learning disability that is caused by the brain working differently. These kids may have trouble producing speech sounds, using spoken language to communicate, or understanding what other people say. Speech and language problems are often the earliest sign of a learning disability.
- Intellectual disabililtyis a common cause of speech and language delay.
- Extreme environmental deprivation can cause speech delay. If a child is neglected or abused and does not hear others speaking, they will not learn to speak.
- Prematuritycan lead to many kinds of developmental delays, including speech/language problems.
- Neurological problems like cerebral palsy, muscular dystrophy, and traumatic brain injury can affect the muscles needed for speaking.
- Autism affects communication. Speech/language/communication problems are often an early sign of autism.
- Attention Deficit/Hyperactivity Disorder .
- Structural problems like cleft lip or cleft palate can interfere with normal speech.
When a person is unable to produce speech sounds correctly or fluently, or has problems with his or her voice, then he or she has a speech disorder.
Language and speech disorders can exist together or by themselves. The problem can be mild or severe. In any case, a comprehensive evaluation by a speech-language pathologist(SLP) is the first step to improving language and speech problems.
you can track with following speech and language development milestones chart , and consult your physician /pediatrician.
|2-3 months||Cries differently in different circumstances; coos in response to you|
|3-4 months||Babbles randomly|
|5-6 months||Babbles rhythmically|
|6-11 months||Babbles in imitation of real speech, with expression|
|12 months||Says 1-2 words; recognizes name; imitates familiar sounds; understands simple instructions|
|18 months||Uses 5-20 words, including names|
|Between 1 and 2 years||Says 2-word sentences; vocabulary is growing; waves goodbye; makes “sounds” of familiar animals; uses words (like “more”) to make wants known; understands “no”|
|Between 2 and 3 years||Identifies body parts; calls self “me” instead of name; combines nouns and verbs; has a 450 word vocabulary; uses short sentences; matches 3-4 colors, knows big and little; likes to hear same story repeated; forms some plurals|
|Between 3 and 4 years||Can tell a story; sentence length of 4-5 words; vocabulary of about 1000 words; knows last name, name of street, several nursery rhymes|
|Between 4 and 5 years||Sentence length of 4-5 words; uses past tense; vocabulary of about 1500 words; identifies colors, shapes; asks many questions like “why?” and “who?”|
|Between 5 and 6 years||Sentence length of 5-6 words; vocabulary of about 2000 words; can tell you what objects are made of; knows spatial relations (like “on top” and “far”); knows address; understands same and different; identifies a penny, nickel and dime; counts ten things; knows right and left hand; uses all types of sentences|
If your child is not meeting these milestones, the first step is to get their hearing checked. Once hearing is normal , then other reasons for speech delay should be explored.The earlier your child gets help, the greater their progress will be.
what a homeopath has to offer:Delayed speech is a disorder in which brain works differently, hence functioning of brain has to be improved.
In homeopathy , we explore the functioning of brain by assessing situational reactions of the individual, his basic thinking pattrens and functioning , decision making , his body’s functioning and disease pattrens, holistic approach is taken . Individualisation is the core in selecting the medicine which works at mind-body-healing for successful treatment.
Most commonly used medicines are Baryta carbonicum, Belladonna , Borax , Calcarea carbonicum , Calcarea phosphoricum, Natrium muriaticum, Phosphorus , Sulphur , Tuberculinum etc.
Autism Spectrum Disorder
ASD now also called AUTISM, is a complex neurodevelopmental disorder that mainly affects brain development leading to learning issues, challenges in communication and social interaction, behaviour issues with restrictive patterns of interest and activity in the individual. It is known as a developmental disorder as its symptoms usually emerge in the first two years of a child’s life. But it can be diagnosed at any age.
It is also known as spectrum disorder because the type and severity of symptom vary along a wide range. Even though ASD has particular characteristic in common but each individual diagnosed with ASD shows a different set of symptoms depending on age of onset, severity, level of functioning, social interaction challenges and number and particular kind of symptom. It occurs in all kind of racial, ethnic and economic group.
According to Diagnostic and statistical manual of mental disorders (DSM-5), Individual with ASD have following signs and symptoms
- Either they are unable to communicate and interact with other people or have huge difficulty to do so.
- They have restricted interest and pattern of repetitive behaviours.
ASD is also accompanied by other medical conditions like epilepsy, anxiety, depression, sleep disorders and gastrointestinal dysfunctions. All these symptoms are sometime associated with some kind of abnormal sensory needs too. Due to these inabilities they are unable to function properly at school, at work or in the community they live. Even though ASD is a lifelong disorder but after taking treatment and services they can improve a lot in their symptoms and functioning abilities.
Signs and symptoms of ASD
Following are the early signs and red flags present in individual who are diagnosed with ASD. Individual having ASD usually struggle in two sphere-
- Social communication and interaction
- Having little or no eye contact
- They tend not to look or listen to people
- Depict difficulties during back and forth conversation
- Don’t or delay respond to people calling their name or getting their attention
- They don’t share their object or activity of enjoyment with others, even with their close family members. They usually try to communicate with their close relatives by showing or pointing at it
- They have unusual voice tone that may sound like robot or flat or sing song
- They have difficulty to understand other people’s point of view
- Unable to express or communicate their desires and needs
- They are unable to predict or understand another people’s action
- They usually continue to talk about a topic of their interest for long period of time without perceiving that either others are not interested in it or they are not getting the chance to speak
- Their facial expression, gestures and movement don’t even match with what is being said
- Laughing and crying without any apparent cause
- Likes solitude. Having hard time making friends of same peer group
- No imaginative play
- Repetitive behaviours and restricted interest.
- Keep on repeating certain behaviours like flapping of hands, twirling a string, spinning objects and rocking.
- They may have unusual behaviours like repeating words or phrases or what is being said to them also called as echolalia.
- Highly focused or interested in certain topics like facts, numbers, letters etc.
- Playing with the toys in unusual manner
- Inappropriate passiveness to any object or thing.
- Excessive tantrums especially during transitioning from one activity or place to other.
- Get upset when there is even a slight change in their routine. They want everything in same order.
- They have excessively focused interests like looking at moving objects, looking on the moving wheels of a vehicle or looking at lined objects.
- They are either more or less sensitive to the sensory input present in their environment as compared to other people like hyper or hypo sensitive to noise, light, touch, temperature or clothing.
They may also have sleep disorders, sensory problems, emotional difficulties uneven cognitive abilities and eating issues. It is very important to know that individual with ASD may vary in their needs, abilities and skills.
Causes of ASD
The research suggests that there is difference in the development of central nervous system and brain that leads to ASD. But the exact cause of this difference is unknown. Researchers also propose that genes acting together with environmental factors can affect the development. Some risk factors that contribute to ASD are
- Intake of some medicines during pregnancy
- Having low birth weight and metabolic imbalances
- Having a sibling with ASD
- Exposure to environmental chemicals
- Pregnancy at older age
- Genetic predisposition and individual having certain genetic disorders like Down’s Syndrome, Fragile X etc.
- Preservative added to vaccines may cause some effects.
Diagnosis Of ASD
There is no laboratory diagnostic test for ASD. But the pediatrician and doctors diagnose ASD by taking detailed developmental history and observing the behaviour of the individual for few sessions. This is also known as screening process. After that team of doctors and health professionals like child psychologist, neuropsychologist, developmental pediatrician, speech language pathologist performs some assessment to find the severity of the symptoms, cognitive level and language abilities. Evaluation and assessment then guide us with the treatment plan.
Treatment and therapies
The treatment for ASD should commence soon after the diagnosis is made. Early the treatment and intervention, more improvement can be observed. With proper treatment individual can learn new skills faster and build upon their strengths. Giving medication and therapies may help to reduce their irritability, aggression, improve their sleep, decrease their repetitive behaviours, hyperactivity and help then with their anxiety, depression and attention issues.
The homeopathic approach for the treatment of ASD is by holistic approach. Holistic means mind body healing. A detail case is taken including all mind, physical, emotional, peculiar and behavioural symptoms of the individual. After doing complete case taking, the symptoms are repertorised and evaluated to find the most indicated similimum remedy for the case. The exact smilimum is prescribed to the individual to see the desired changes.
At Apple Health Clinic we provide dedicated solutions for the improvement of all special need children through our experienced and trusted methodology of selecting Homeopathic medicines with latest advances software and techniques. We work as a team to maximise the results and efficacy. After regular treatment we have seen so much improvement in these patients that their symptom reduces and their learning capabilities improves especially if the treatment is started at a very early age. We believe that there is curative homeopathic medicine made for everyone who needs it, but only dedication and perseverance can lead to lifelong possibilities of cure. Over the years of experience, we have gone through so many difficult and fascinating journeys of cures leading to so many satisfied patients.